Enterprise Mobility: Issues and Advantages
Enterprise mobility is the concept which allows the workforce of an organization to remotely connect with the information base. It allows the use of various resources, required to flourish the organization by different teams involved in various processes of organization.
For better productivity, an organization always desires to keep in touch with its employees in working hours but, this connectivity could be achieved only inside a particular area controlled by the organization. This could not be achieved with the marketing team working on other location than inside organizations campus.
To remotely connect with the employee under such situations, concept of enterprise mobility was introduced, which was both, handy and cheap. It requires the use of a mobile device, which makes its owner carry it easily and allows the employee to remain connected with his company’s network all the time.
Enterprise mobility grants the ease of instant communication and access to crucial information, anytime, anywhere. It provides the following advantages to businesses or organizations:
- Return on Investment: As workforce would be able to work qualitatively, with improved productivity. It eventually increases the income generated through business and covers up all the investment made initially to deploy organizational processes.
- Positive Decisions: More beneficial decisions could be taken by experienced and skilled workforce, if provided the information access anytime. Experienced employee could make instant calculations using mobile access to information under critical situations.
- Improved Communication: Better communication between different teams about same project could be made, even if two teams are distant and located at different places.
While organizations are more concerned in setting up a link between workforce and company’s resource, security measures should be ensured correctly. An emphasis on following issues should be given:
- Data threat management: SSL based VPN’s should be introduced so as to provide secure access to data. There may be instances in the network when an un-trusted peer may try to connect with the corporate database with the intention of misusing the data against the organization. With applications like Blackberry enterprise applications, which use SSL based VPN, these risks are diminished to a considerable amount.
- Device Compatibility: Mobile devices should be compatible with the applications used to connect with enterprise network. There would be no use of deploying such application, which do not support the device intended to communicate.
- System Integration: Application compatibility is not enough for a business to make use of enterprise mobility. Mobile technologies deployed and applications used should integrate easily with the existing system of business so as to avail with the minimum installation cost.
- Workforce Training: The mobile system used should be easy enough to educate the workforce with it’s working in minimum possible time. Moreover, user-friendliness should be high enough that users should get used to the system like a child with a toy.
The cost, security and critical nature of the enterprise system depend upon the sophistication of the system being deployed. More sophisticated systems require less IT labor to manage the system but the initial cost of installation increases with a bonus of security features enhancing. Likewise, less sophisticated systems are more prone to failures and would require more skilled engineers to maintain but would be less easy to deploy .The advantage of such system would be its initial cost. Cost of installation decreases but relatively cost of maintenance and other expenses increase.