Features and Advantages of PHP Development
PHP development has had a great impact in providing dynamic websites which provide increased functionality to a webpage. PhP allows websites to perform real-time data processing, which is the primary reason for its tremendous popularity.
PHP stands for Hypertext Pre-Processor, which means this language holds the capability to process all the data received from the client’s side or user side before sending back as a hypertext. PHP is a general-purpose scripting language which is used for web application development that provides a platform to develop dynamic websites.
Sites developed with PHP give the advantages of both, simplicity of HTML, and to present the data on a network with real-time processing capabilities. This lets various websites to function not just as a platform to display content but to work as an online application to perform a particular task. Various features of PHP development are:
- Open Source: PHP is an open source technology, which means its source code, development environment etc. are freely available. Also, PHP community is continually developing new functionalities of this language thus improving its code package, base libraries and various classes.
- Simple & Easy: PHP developed websites or applications have much simple code to write or understand. The level of complexity of a php code is much lesser than its competing technologies for developing web applications or dynamic sites.
- Platform Independent: Applications developed in PHP are platform independent and can be executed on a variety of platforms and web servers. Websites developed using PHP can be hosted on nearly all the web-servers available in the market. The only constraint which can be considered is the version incompatibility, which is also not a major issue because most of the time servers are back-compatible with the language versions.
- Enhanced graphics: PHP can be used to generate images dynamically or at run-time. Using the image functionalities, more number of image formats could be supported in a website or web application.
The list for the features of PHP applications is very long one. Mentioned above, were some of the major features of a PHP application. These features bring the ease of coding to a developer and high quality interaction for the user. Some advantages of developing an application in PHP are:
- PHP applications are much cheaper than other technologies for developing dynamic sites or applications due to the proprietary or license issues. PHP is freely available which helps to cut the cost of development to a considerable extent.
- Provides a more secured website due to its high quality encryption scheme. Applications safety is another advantage in the same category so that the application code cannot be tampered.
- PHP applications provide a fast browsing experience due to the reason that all the processing is performed at the server side. Therefore, despite of the system configuration of the user, a website or an application developed in PHP loads equally.
We can estimate the popularity of PHP as a technology from the fact that many popular websites like Facebook, Wikipedia, Wordpress, Baidu, etc. are primarily based on PHP with an addition of C++, Java, Python and Erlang. As of April 2007 there were about 21 Million domains using PHP. Many software development companies which are into web development services offer PHP development services to their clients.
Other advantages of php development include compatibility with almost every web-server and operating system the application is laid on. The load time of php developed sites is also less as php is a light weighted language for web-site development.